Thursday, November 7, 2013

Ok, we've got a surgery date... hopefully...

Man, this waiting is killing me!  I don't feel like I can make plans more than a couple days in advance because I don't know what the next few weeks hold for me.  However, my waiting may be over :)

I received a call from my oncologist at UCSF tonight saying that they are trying to schedule my surgery for next Thursday, 11/14!  A bunch of stuff has to happen before then though, so it's not set in stone just yet.  Tomorrow, I have to get a ton of labs done at Kaiser in Sacramento as part of the trial.  Then next Tuesday, 11/12, the human experimentation committee will meet in the morning to hopefully approve the next amendment in the trial.  If that happens, then I have to go to UCSF that afternoon to sign consent forms, all kinds of paperwork has to go back and forth between UCSF and Tocagen, the company sponsoring the trial, and if all goes well, I will have surgery on Thursday, yikes!

In a way it's a relief to have a date set, but it's still brain surgery, so I wouldn't say I'm exactly relieved.  When I had my original biopsy in 2002, I had to fill out an advance healthcare directive specifying exactly what extreme measures I want taken in case all doesn't go well with the surgery and who I want to make decisions for me.  I have to update that and create a will before surgery, so I'm thinking this isn't going to be a very fun weekend.  Luckily (I think???), I've had a lot of time to think about these things, now it's just a matter of finally doing it.  I suppose it's something everybody should do, but nobody wants to, kinda like a colonoscopy :)

Anyway, that's the news for now.  I'll blog again if I hear anything else and will try to check in at least one more time to let you all know if the surgery is a go. 

All my nervously excited love!!!
Laurie             

No comments: