Monday, August 23, 2010

Treatment #2

Mom & I just got home from a doctors appointment and my 2nd treatment of Avastin. It went just as well as the first and I'm feeling no side effects from it ;-) I'll be having my 3rd treatment in 2 weeks, then an MRI shortly after that. That's when we will know if this new medication is working to stop my tumor's growth or perhaps even shrink it. I'm feeling fairly confident about it since my symptoms haven't gotten any worse, no better, but no worse either. I'm happy with stable at this point!

I have a couple roommates for the next week and a half :) My 18 year old nephew, Mason and his friend, Skyler, are staying with me because they started school at American River College today, but don't get their apartment in Davis until September 2nd or 3rd. I'm taking on the task of teaching them how to cook for themselves (something other than hot pockets) because I know my mom and sister are both convinced they're going to starve to death. This morning we tackled fried eggs and toast and they both did really well :) My mom, the boys and I are going out for pizza tonight to celebrate their 1st day of college and a good doc appt for me. I think tomorrow night I'm going to teach them a really simple curry dish I know (thanks Toggi & Kirk!) because Skyler is a vegetarian and it is a great one to make with tofu, plus it's really yummy.

If anyone is interested in the recipe, here you go...

Makes 2 Servings (with some leftovers)

Ingredients:
*1 can coconut milk (16 oz, I think), can substitute light coconut milk
*1 Tbsp "Mae Ploy" red curry paste (found in Asian grocery stores, other curry paste would probably work too)
*1 Tbsp chicken bouillon (I'm going to try to find veggie bouillon for Skyler)
*1 Tbsp sugar
*Canned Asian veggies (drained) of your choice (water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, straw mushrooms, baby corn, etc.) About 1/2 can of each. Cut baby corn and bamboo shoots into bite size pieces.
*1/2 red bell pepper, cut into bite size pieces
*1 package extra firm tofu or shrimp or chicken cut into bite size pieces
*1 bag 10-minute "boil in a bag" brown rice

Sooo easy...

Pour coconut milk into a medium saucepan. Add curry paste, bouillon & sugar, stir & let simmer, covered, about 30-40 minutes, until curry paste as broken down and color of the coconut milk has turned red. Bring another pot of water to a rolling boil and add brown rice. Set timer for 10 minutes. Add drained canned veggies to coconut milk. Add tofu, shrimp or chicken & let simmer again, about 10-15 minutes if using tofu or chicken (until chicken is cooked) and about 3-4 minutes if using shrimp. Add red bell pepper and frozen peas and simmer for another couple minutes. Drain rice when timer goes off. All done!

Serve curry mixture on top of rice & enjoy!

Let me know how it comes out or if you have any questions or suggestions =D

XOXO,
~LG

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lolo- It is sooo great to hear your treatments are going well!!! I am cooking that curry tomorrow night, thanks for the recipe :)!!! Love you- Shelly

Laurie said...

Hi Shelly! How did the curry turn out??? Miss you... may be heading up your way soon :) XOXO, Lolo